Skip to main content

The Call

Wow, so much has happened since my last post.  So, Brandi was admitted into the hospital at 24 weeks.  She brought all sorts of things with her for her "confinement."  Due to her allergy to corn and corn by-products, she was skeptical of eating food prepared by the hospital.  You wouldn't believe all the things one can cook in a bread maker.  Not only can they make a bread loaf, they can also make a mean meatloaf.  They make a passable brownie, too.  She cooked all sorts of things in her hospital room.  The brownies were a huge hit with the nurses.  I spent few nights a week with her.  The couch made into a sort-of bed that wasn't too bad.  The rest of the time I spent at home keeping up the house and pets.  We stayed on routine of a hour monitoring our girls every 8 hours.  Brandi was not on bed-rest and had time to make friends with other people on her floor. 

On Saturday, July 6 I got the call.  It was 3:30am and I had been drifting out of sleep heard my phone go off.  "Jared, my water broke!" I told the older kids what was up, letting them go back to sleep and I was out the door not knowing what would happen and how our girls were doing.

Popular posts from this blog

The Smile

In my practice of psychotherapy I'm learning the power of positive psychology.  I've had a notion that many times people forget to smile, especially when they are plagued with depression and/or anxiety.  A few years ago I went through a very painful event that changed my life.  The grief of loss was so profuse that I found myself forgetting to smile.  In response, I decided to take daily pictures of myself smiling.  I was leaning on the old adage of "fake it till you make it."  I certainly did not feel like smiling, but I would make the biggest, cheesiest smile and take a selfie.  It helped me remember that life is only dominated by sadness and grief if we allow it that power.  That statement is a relatively sound Christian thought, too.  God gives us joy in Him if we are born again.  Like Peter stepping out of the boat, we can sometimes lose sight of the joy of Christ when the tempests of life seems overwhelming.  Don't forget to...

The Blessing

I've always wanted Brandi to be able to stay home and work as she pleases with sign language interpreting.  She interprets for the Deaf that attend our church and it has been a dream of hers to be able to do so as a vocation instead of volunteer.  I can't say that I was quite prepared for the suddenness of her leaving work, but per doctor's suggestion Brandi filed for FMLA and ceased working.  She has stayed at home taking it easy, resting, and trying to eat 3,500 calories a day.  She said that she never thought she would ever come to a place in her life where she would be tired of eating, but she's arrived.  And feeling tired of eating, she's decreased the goal to 3,200 calories.  She's doing pretty good at it.  The thought of having twins, hospital bills, doctor bills, specialist bills, etc was daunting enough with two incomes, but now having just one was a bit overwhelming.  Amid the many prayers that we send to God about the girls, Brandi ha...

The Chest Pain

Monday was a big day.  We had our second appointment with the perinatologist.  While the initial visit took about 2 and 1/2 hours, this one too about 40 minutes.  They checked on both girls, took measurements, listened to heartbeats, and listened to the umbilical cords.  Both girls checked out just fine.  The doctor pronounced both to be in good health and growing at a good rate.  Brandi also checked out just fine.  We were elated.  To celebrate, we went about a five minute drive up the road to one of our favorite Indian restaurants, Bombay Palace.  Brandi said the girls really liked the Indian food because they were dancing around in her belly.  We had a good time.  About an hour later I was in the E.R. (No, not because of the yummy Indian food). Let me back-track just about 14 hours.... 3:00 am I woke up with a really bad pain behind my left shoulder blade.  I felt as though I had been impaled.  Brandi had to push me t...