When I was a younger man I had heard about this new thing called 3D Ultrasound imaging. I thought that this would be a really neat thing to do. We had our first one of these things yesterday. Brandi and I were at the perinatologist's office for our regular 2-week checkup. Brandi's parents had accompanied us there this time. Ray, my father in law said that he had never seen an ultrasound before. It was really fun to watch their reactions to the girls' movements as their images showed up on the ultrasound monitors. All of a sudden the tech changed the type of ultrasound to one of those 3D ones. Brandi was excited. She has wanted to do one of these for a while. I, on the other hand, was sitting on the fence about them. Even though flat, black-and-white ultrasounds are amazing, they don't show everything and they maintain the integrity of the mystique of pregnancy. Not so with the 3D. Wow... they show a lot.
Here are my current feelings about seeing that level of detail. I'm not a perinatologist. I'm an accomplished realist (leaning toward pessimism). All of the stuff around the baby's face was not explained to me. It's a melange of random limbs and umbilical chords and who knows what else crammed in a little amniotic sac. They could only get Baby-B's picture. Baby-A was being uncooperative (she must take after her mother). I told everyone that it didn't matter since they are identical twins, they would look alike. If anything, it looked like something from a Sci-Fi aliens B-movie set. No, sir, not for me. I think I prefer the maxim of being blissfully ignorant.
There are some things worth knowing, there are other things where knowledge may not be the most beneficial thing. On one hand, Brandi loves the 3D pics of the girl, on the other hand, I think I'd rather wait till birth.
Here are my current feelings about seeing that level of detail. I'm not a perinatologist. I'm an accomplished realist (leaning toward pessimism). All of the stuff around the baby's face was not explained to me. It's a melange of random limbs and umbilical chords and who knows what else crammed in a little amniotic sac. They could only get Baby-B's picture. Baby-A was being uncooperative (she must take after her mother). I told everyone that it didn't matter since they are identical twins, they would look alike. If anything, it looked like something from a Sci-Fi aliens B-movie set. No, sir, not for me. I think I prefer the maxim of being blissfully ignorant.
There are some things worth knowing, there are other things where knowledge may not be the most beneficial thing. On one hand, Brandi loves the 3D pics of the girl, on the other hand, I think I'd rather wait till birth.