The appointment time with the perinatologist (SS) arrived. Brandi and I drove to Nashville (a little over an hour away from our home). I think that deep down we kept thinking that with the odds of having mono-mono twins being 1 in 10,000 or greater, there was slim chance that we would be diagnosed as such. The higher resolution ultrasound that would be used would detect the thin membrane separating the two amniotic sacs. Being a realist (code word for pessimist), and thinking about what DC had said, I wasn't holding my breath.
The technician who did the ultrasound said to us, "So you're having mono-mono twins?" We explained our ignorance and that our Ob had referred us here for a routine twin pregnancy screening due to Brandi's age (I'll not say her advanced age). The ultrasound did not reveal a membrane. Instead it confirmed that we beat the odds and Brandi was carrying mono-mono twins. Brandi began thinking about buying lotto tickets and hope our luck wouldn't run out.
SS arrived and explained to us the unique pregnancy in which we found ourselves. I asked him to give us some positives. He responded that last year he had 3 sets of mono-mono twins and they all were delivered and went home. He also told us that our girls were measuring well and that they looked good. He said that this ultrasound reveals some cord entanglement, but not much, and that was to be expected in this type of pregnancy. Our next appointment was set for two weeks out.
Brandi and I held on to the positives. She is naturally a more positive person than I am and was again astounded by feelings of being blessed to carry such an unlikely pregnancy. She had already come to a place where she gave the girls into God's care. Her positive attitude and good humor helped me as I thought of the gravity of the situation.
The technician who did the ultrasound said to us, "So you're having mono-mono twins?" We explained our ignorance and that our Ob had referred us here for a routine twin pregnancy screening due to Brandi's age (I'll not say her advanced age). The ultrasound did not reveal a membrane. Instead it confirmed that we beat the odds and Brandi was carrying mono-mono twins. Brandi began thinking about buying lotto tickets and hope our luck wouldn't run out.
SS arrived and explained to us the unique pregnancy in which we found ourselves. I asked him to give us some positives. He responded that last year he had 3 sets of mono-mono twins and they all were delivered and went home. He also told us that our girls were measuring well and that they looked good. He said that this ultrasound reveals some cord entanglement, but not much, and that was to be expected in this type of pregnancy. Our next appointment was set for two weeks out.
Brandi and I held on to the positives. She is naturally a more positive person than I am and was again astounded by feelings of being blessed to carry such an unlikely pregnancy. She had already come to a place where she gave the girls into God's care. Her positive attitude and good humor helped me as I thought of the gravity of the situation.