On the Monday following the ultrasound, the reality of Brandi carrying twins, the thoughts of having twin daughters, and having to get two of everything began to weigh on my mind. I talked with DC's nurse who told me how she carried twins and gave me some good encouragement. She said that DC was not in, but would have him call me.
The next day I received a call. DC explained to me that they had not seen the dividing membrane between the two babies on their ultrasound. They could have missed it and they wanted to schedule us for an appointment with a perinatologist for further examination. It was at this time that I learned there were actually more types of twins that fraternal and identical. I also learned about mono-mono twins. DC did not confirm which type of twins Brandi was carrying, but gave me the "worst case scenario" so that I would prepare myself if this were the case. After we finished the call I did the worst thing I could have done and knew better as I was doing it. I googled Monochorionic and Monoamnionic twins.
Google really should re-brand itself as the Pandora's Box of Information. They say that ignorance is bliss and I believe that to be true. The Bible says that with much knowledge comes much sorrow. I fully believe this. From what I was reading, the prognosis of my little girls did not look good. Brandi learned some and found that the chances of having mono-mono twins is 1 in 10,000. She said that she felt blessed that she could be carrying such an unlikely pregnancy. I, on the other hand, began to freak out inside. My mood fell drastically. I tried to keep a good perspective for Brandi, but I kept asking myself why DC had prepared me for the worst. Our appointment with the perinatologist was not until 2 and a half weeks out. I called and arranged for an earlier appointment.
The next day I received a call. DC explained to me that they had not seen the dividing membrane between the two babies on their ultrasound. They could have missed it and they wanted to schedule us for an appointment with a perinatologist for further examination. It was at this time that I learned there were actually more types of twins that fraternal and identical. I also learned about mono-mono twins. DC did not confirm which type of twins Brandi was carrying, but gave me the "worst case scenario" so that I would prepare myself if this were the case. After we finished the call I did the worst thing I could have done and knew better as I was doing it. I googled Monochorionic and Monoamnionic twins.
Google really should re-brand itself as the Pandora's Box of Information. They say that ignorance is bliss and I believe that to be true. The Bible says that with much knowledge comes much sorrow. I fully believe this. From what I was reading, the prognosis of my little girls did not look good. Brandi learned some and found that the chances of having mono-mono twins is 1 in 10,000. She said that she felt blessed that she could be carrying such an unlikely pregnancy. I, on the other hand, began to freak out inside. My mood fell drastically. I tried to keep a good perspective for Brandi, but I kept asking myself why DC had prepared me for the worst. Our appointment with the perinatologist was not until 2 and a half weeks out. I called and arranged for an earlier appointment.